I conciously started this last year, and I believe it’s a good tradition to follow and build up: looking back at the year, reviewing what happened and how to face the new year and it’s challenges ahead.
And again: what a year it has been! Crikey! Yes, I know I said exactly that a year ago already. But it seems that last year was only the preamble, this year the main story unfolded. I manoeuvred through such an array of events, that looking back now I am quite chuffed that I made it, even more so that I (and that’s just my personal assessment) came out of it as a better person.
So what happened? I do not want to repeat, we can all refer back to this year’s posts. But the main life events of this year were:
- Starting the year full of self doubt, a heavy heart and broken soul.
- Meeting friend guy, falling head over heels in love with him, being strung along into a ‘friendship’ which turned out to be pretty one-sided. After too long finally being able to call him out and put this ‘whatever-it-was-ship’ ad acta.
- Still not speaking to my former best friend, but receiving a wedding invitation to her wedding which I really do not want to go to (but that may be a different story in the new year).
- Trusting an older and dear friend with her judgement of seeking help for my battered soul and self confidence and attending a retreat.
- The retreat that saved my life.
- Being able to open my eyes again to see the world, learning anew to let go, let in, rephrase and reprioritise. Understanding that I am a good person after all, worthy of love and happiness.
- Meeting new and wonderful people, who nourish my soul. I cherish every single one of them. And to strengthen old friendships. Not all friendships survived, but the important ones did, those that give me strength.
- Enjoying my job again.
- To move into my first own home.
- And most importantly: to love myself again.
I know this sounds rather dramatic. But that’s been my feeling for the past few days. I am feeling so emotional, I could cry about most things: a TV advert, a song on the radio, thinking about the lovely text message a friend sent me, seeing my sister and her gorgeous three children. My heart goes out with joy. I’m grateful – that’s it. I really do appreciate the people around me, the wonderful moments and heartwarming sunsets. I have found my mojo again, and isn’t that what I set out to do at the beginning of the year? I have found myself again. Hallelujah!
What do I wish for myself for the next year? Happiness. Fulfilment. More adventures (and yes, my next trip is booked already – wohoo). But also to keep feeding my soul. And before you start to wonder, I am very aware that there will be bad times, down times, bad moods and maybe, probably, more heart ache. But I will do my utmost to not end up broken again.
I will start a podcast, where I’ll be able to talk about anything and everything and with everyone who is willing to join in (those who know me know that I’m a chatterer at heart 😉 ).
And yes, I also want to find my Mr Right. But I’ll be looking in different corners of this universe, and I will not be defined by it anymore. (Fingers crossed. Feel free to remind me of this if need be!)
Oh, and before I forget: I will ignore as long as possible the big birthday looming at the end of the summer. But maybe, hopefully, I’ll celebrate it with some lovely people in an exciting place somewhere in the world :).
Does this sound about right?